Thursday, May 8, 2008

As good as Chester Fried

I don't know if they have Chester Fried in Gas Stations across America, but they do have it here in New England. Anyone who has had Chester Fried dipped in BBQ or Sweet and Sour sauce knows it's the best.
Alas, Our local gas station closed up lock stock and barrel leaving the fine residents of Milton with no Chester Fried! Well this week I tried my hand at duplicating Chester Fried with mixed results. First I made Fried Chicken following the recipe of Paula Deen found in this month's Good Housekeeping. I have never attempted fried chicken before and now I know why. It is messy, tricky and NOT WORTH IT. I vote Kentucky Fried, Chester Fried, Days Market Fried, Hannaford Fried, anything is better than trying to get the temp right, the mess contained etc.
I did make some MEAN sweet potatoe fries, though, and it was one fat filled funfest eating that fried grub!
Tonight I found another Chester Fried item that I CAN duplicate, and you can too. Anyone ever go in there and get one of those BBQ pieces of Kielbasa? Now you can make it at home. I made this tonight and it is delicious - reminds me of Ray Yeagley's BBQ hot dogs that Heather is so fond of. So easy to make. I served it over rice (go easy on the sauce) and it was just yummy.

Sweet and Sour Kielbasa
Combine sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan over low heat to combine:
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
6 Tbsp butter (Paula Deen would be proud)
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
Add:
1-2 lb kielbasa sausage (I used the lite kielbasa)
Cook 30 minutes, until the onions are soft, or as desired.

This would be great on a buffet table too. Yummy!

No comments: