Friday, March 28, 2008

Day late and a dollar short...

OK I know this is too late for St. Patrick's Day, but here is my recipe for Corned Beef Dinner.

Corned Beef Dinner

Place one 3-4 pound corned beef brisket in Dutch Oven (I use flat cut), barely cover with water. Add 1/2 cup chopped onion, 2 cloves garlic, minced; and 2 bay leaves. (If your corned beef came with a seasoning packet, add that, too). Cover and simmer 3-4 hours until tender. (I go long for really tender fall-apart beef.)
Remove meat from liquid, keep warm. Add 6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered, 6 carrots, peeled and sliced (you can also add turnip here if you wish), cover, bring to boiling; cook 5 minutes. Add 6 cabbage wedges and cook 25 min. longer.
If desired glaze meat while vegetables cook. I recommend this step! To glaze, spread fat side (I trim most of the fat off at this point before glazing) of meat lightly with prepared mustard. Sprinkle with mixture of 3 T. brown sugar and a dash of ground cloves. Bake in a shallow pan at 350 degrees about 15 minutes.

Serves 6 (OK maybe only 3-4 Kanes)

No comments: