Compliments of the Food Nanny:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 (3 oz.) package cream cheese
1 pint heavy cream (you can use fat free half and half - if you really want to)
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
Salt and ground black pepper
1 pound uncooked fettuccine
1. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Mix in the cream cheese. Stir in the cream and garlic powder. Increase the heat and bring to a boil. Decrease the heat and simmer, stirring often, while you cook the pasta. If the sauce needs additioonal thickening (for example if you're serving it as a dipping sauce without pasta), you may sprinkle in flour, 1 tsp. at a time. Cook and stir for desired consistency.
2. Cook the fettuccine according to package directions; drain.
3. Stir the Parmesan cheese into the sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Toss the sauce and the pasta in a large bowl and serve immediately.
Serve with a tossed green salad and hot French bread or bread sticks.
I should add
5. go on South Beach Diet and swear off this ridiculouly fattening recipe forever.
I use the alfredo sauce in this recipe:
1 pound uncooked mostaccioli or other tubular pasta
1 Alfredo Sauce Recipe
1 26 oz. jar spaghetti sauce (or 3 cups homemade sauce), divided
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Cook the pasta according to the package directions, drain.
3. Meanwhile, prepare Alfredo Sauce
4. Spread a thin layer of spaghetti sauce in a 9 x 13 pan. Layer half the pasta, half the Alfredo sauce, half the spaghetti sauce, and 1 1/2 cups of cheese. Repeat the layering with the remaiining pasta, alfredo sauce, spaghetti sauce, and cheese.
5. Cover with aluminum foil and bake about 30 minutes or until it is hot and bubbly.
Serve with a tossed greed salad and Italian or French bread.
And of course
6. Do not eat if you are on the South Beach Diet.